quinta-feira, 31 de dezembro de 2015

HAVE YOU EVER COME ACROSS THIS MOTION PICTURE?



Several years ago I asked my readers if anyone knew about a certain movie that I had seen at a cinema when I was a youngster.

It so happens that my blog only shows the most recent texts unless one does look through the Index, so texts become rather hidden away among the almost two hundred writings, and most of them in Portuguese too! As there are very few texts written in English, I had thought it would be easier to be seen.

Unfortunately, I have never received a comment regarding this motion picture, and I would certainly love to discover its title, and try and obtain a copy, so I am giving it another try.

I have decided to transcript my original text again ipsis litteris,  crossing my fingers and hoping that someone knows of this movie.


I am looking for a movie that could have been made in the late 1940s or in the 1950s. I remember three takes: a tree (Tyburn?) is hit by lightning and two spirits are freed (father and daughter) that wish to avenge themselves of the family responsible for their deaths by hanging from that tree as sorcerers centuries before. The daughter falls in love with the man that represents that family, much against her father's wishes. The next thing I remember is the couple riding in a taxi at night and she asks the man what time is it. He looks out of the window directly at Big Ben and discovers that the taxi is flying. Who is driving? The girl's father. The film ends with the couple miniaturising the father and putting him in a bottle, closing him in with a cork, and placing the bottle on the mantelpiece so they can live in peace ever after.

If some reader can identify this motion picture, please let me know, by sending an E-mail to 
wwharris@gmail.com
Thanks.

Walter

5 comentários:

  1. Hi Walter,

    I've read this post and I'm curious about it. Best of luck to you"

    Sandra

    ResponderExcluir
  2. The name of the film is "I married a witch" starring Veronica Lake.

    Cheers, Sandra

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. I Married A Witch made in 1942 starring Veronica Lake and Fredric March.

      Here is a partial synopsis.

      As she burns at the stake, a 17th century witch, Jennifer (Veronica Lake), places a curse on her accuser (Fredric March), so that from this day forward, all of his descendants (each played by him) will be unhappy in marriage. After several hilarious through-the-years examples (the Civil War-era Fredric March runs off to battle rather than endure his wife's nagging), we are brought up to 1942. Wallace Wooley (March) is a gubernatorial candidate, preparing to wed snooty socialite Estelle Masterson (Susan Hayward) -- the well-to-do daughter of a publisher who is backing him. A bolt of lightning strikes the tree where Jennifer had been executed three centuries earlier, thereby freeing the spirits of Jennifer and her warlock father, Daniel (Cecil Kellaway).

      Excluir
    2. SANDRA,
      I HAVE BEEN HUNTING FOR THIS MOVIE FOR I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY YEARS. AND IT IS THIS FILM. I WAS ABLE TO CONFIRM THIS WHEN I FOUND ON YOUTUBE THE FINAL PART OF THE MOTION PICTURE. SEE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytyaxrqVNTQ.
      THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH.
      WALTER
      BEST REGARDS,

      Excluir
  3. Hi Walter, I'm glad this is the right film. Enjoy!

    ResponderExcluir